June 5, 2016

Know New Friends

There are so many things now that I wish someone had told me prior to going to college… and it definitely didn’t involve the ‘scare stories’ about campus life; don’t get drunk because it can lead to rape, don’t sleep around because everyone knows what the “walk of shame” looks like, don’t embarrass your family and friends like you don’t have home training… The list went on and on.

Sidebar: Are these legitimate concerns worthy of your attention? ABSOLUTELY! Always practice caution at all times, on and off campus.

Going to back to my original thought, what was missing that we often see even in evangelism? What is to be gained out of college life especially under the privilege of being a believer! There’s so much to look forward to. So many friends to make, so much growing and maturing to do, so much wisdom and knowledge to gain that can’t happen otherwise.


The most important lesson I learned however, that I wish I’d have known ahead of time, can be found in Hebrews 10:25. This verse warns us ‘not forsake the gathering of the Saints’ and it wasn’t until fairly recently it dawned on me that the scripture didn’t apply to church-like activities only. You know how we learn and quote church lingo left and right but the revelation sometimes hits you muuuuuuch later? This was one of those ‘a-ha’ moments. I knew that WE (the people) are the church, not the building, but I didn’t live like I knew it 24/7.
So off course, my first year involved getting to know and sampling the plethora of clubs on campus including the choir and praise dance ministries. But as a "jack of all trades," I was master of none. I was committed to choir and praise dance practice as long as we didn't meet on the same night as the other club most of my friends were going to. And I was cool with that…. For a while. Then it hit me: there was no problem with my behavior if I didn't know Christ or profess to be a believer. Godly standards aren’t for the unsaved but only for the redeemed.

However, as a professed "daughter of the king" my hypocrisy was now someone else's stumbling block; a reason to justify their sinfulness or a reason to validate their belief that ALL Christians are hypocrites.What was even worse than that was my misrepresentation of grace. What do I mean by that? I was so harsh towards my own sin due to trying to gain salvation and right standing with God through action - doing more, repenting often, always fearful of His wrath and judgement- that I was just as harsh towards others' shortcomings. It even earned me the nickname "madame Baptist" (behind my back off course) because of my ‘holier than thou behavior’ around the same people I sinned consistently with.

Isn't that crazy?! Partying, drinking, rowdiness, fornication and gossipping was the routine Thursday through Saturday but then i’d invite the same crew to campus church on Sunday evenings and work hard to maintain the holy facade with them until the next Thursday. But thanks be unto God who is constantly pursuing you and I at the moment of surrender, swoops in and embraces us in His arms.

Along came World Changerz, our campus bible study group that I’d been invited to tons of times but never attended. As Pastor Joseph prince always says, “right teaching leads to right believing which leads to right living.” Those bible studies are what really helped me understand, surrender to and receive God's love, grace and mercy in order to be able to pour out the same to others.

Bad company really corrupts good fruit. But the opposite is just as true, great company multiplies good fruit. You are the company you keep. Choose wisely.


Bernadette prefers to be called Bernie. She is Kenyan born but currently lives in NYC.  She describes herself as a praise and worshipper in love with Jesus with a heart after God’s own. She is also a local and international missionary telling others and learning more about Christ wherever she goes. Lastly, She is a Licensed Social Worker specializing in Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention.








Sign-up here to receive our free devotional launching this July!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for this Bernie. These are the some of the concerns I had for my girls in school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this Bernie. These are the some of the concerns I had for my girls in school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this with me. I find myself quoting that "Bad company corrupts good character," lately, and really stay to myself. Even though I'm not on campus this still helps. Thanks sis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this with me. I find myself quoting that "Bad company corrupts good character," lately, and really stay to myself. Even though I'm not on campus this still helps. Thanks sis

    ReplyDelete