May 22, 2015

Worth The Wait

Waiting is not something I do patiently or joyfully. Whether I’m waiting for a train or bus to arrive or sitting in a car waiting for the red light to turn, waiting seems to be part of life. Most of the time, I know that the train or bus will pull up to the stop or the light will eventually turn green but when it comes to my future spouse, waiting becomes so much more uncomfortable.

Back in my romance reading days, I’d get to fall in love a hundred times and sigh to myself when the characters got their happily ever after. The guy always seemed so perfect (even when he wasn’t). In high school I developed a huge crush on an upper classman who had the most incredible ice blue eyes and long, dark lashes, and I wondered if my wait would ever be over. Even after becoming a Christian, I still had those romantic fantasies swirling in my head only this time God would be at the center. But he never came through the sanctuary doors.

I found myself impatiently waiting and told God, "He better be worth the wait!"



What made me think I could demand such a thing from God – the perfect man – and yet know that I wasn’t perfect myself. I had to take a deep, long look at myself and ask, Am I worth the wait?

What makes a person worth the wait? Here are some of my thoughts (which work for both men and women):

Have you surrendered your life to Christ?

Do you have your own Bible study and worship time?

Have you received your daughter-ship as God’s child?

Is your mind renewed with the truth of God’s word over the shame of your past?

Are you getting your own house in order both materially (washing your own clothing, cooking your own food) and financially? (see the ways your can become like the Proverbs 31 woman before saying “I Do”)

Do you have hobbies you enjoy?

Do you invest in your church community and your friendships?

You may say “yes” to all of these questions and still be waiting. If that’s you, I want to encourage you to then continue trusting in God. We’re promised to seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you (Matthew 6:33).

Waiting isn’t easy but it’s definitely for a reason. It’s been in this season of waiting that I’ve got to see what’s inside my heart (and it has not always been pretty!). I’ve come to learn that waiting doesn’t mean God has forgotten me but that He’s making me more like Him.


Have you become frustrated with your season of waiting? How do you keep yourself encouraged?




Liv is 34 years old and lives in New York City. She has lived in NYC for most of her life except for a four-year period when I went to high school in Connecticut. She is a single daughter serving - encouraging women of all ages in their singleness and identities in Christ. 
Blo

2 comments:

  1. Waiting certainly can be hard! But in the end, I believe that if you are patient and wait on God, He will bring you what He has for you, and it will be the best. I also think it's important to get to know yourself and who you are before you try to get to know someone else! This post was great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks @Janiah Adams for your insight and I certainly agree! God places dreams into our lives that can be accomplished regardless of our marital status. Actually, in our singleness, the apostle Paul states that it is better to be single because we can be more focused on the things of God. So rather than focusing on someone else (and especially waiting for that someone else), we can work on ourselves and live abundant lives :)

    ReplyDelete